In light of the current breach in eBay’s security system we recommend the following password guidelines:
• Don’t choose one obviously associated with you: Hackers can find out a lot about you from social media so if they are targeting you specifically and you choose, say, your pet’s name you’re in trouble.
• Choose words that don’t appear in a dictionary: Hackers can precalculate the encrypted forms of whole dictionaries and easily reverse engineer your password.
• Use a mixture of unusual characters: You can use a word or phrase that you can easily remember but where characters are substituted, eg, v3RiTa5!
• Have different passwords for different sites and systems: If hackers compromise one system you do not want them having the key to unlock all your other accounts.
• Keep them safely: With multiple passwords it is tempting to write them down and carry them around with you. Better to use some form of secure password vault on your phone.
If your worried about your password security or need advice after an account has been compromised please contact us on 01782 365 124 or submit a support request.